Hello again friends and fam!
So we just had our first weekend at our new homes with our Cato Manor families! My (Stephanie) family consists of a Mama and two sisis Mandisa (16) and Andi (18). Becky’s family consists of a Mama, a bhuti (9) who lives in town with his town, a sisi (14) who goes to boarding school and a malume (uncle, 26) who lives at home. Friday afternoon we all got dropped off and met and shared our gifts from home and started adjusting…
Some of the interesting challenges I (steph) have faced so far include bathing and washing my hair with a bucket of water, and not being allowed to help clean up (yet, they said they will let me eventually). My sisi and mama also asked if I could cook (haha) and demanded to know why not when I said “no”. My mama also told me regardless of my skill or lack thereof I HAVE to cook them dinner. Becky said she’ll help me. Thank goodness. My sisis took me on a walk around the neighborhood on Friday night and I’ve also gone on later walks with both of them which I really enjoy. I think the neighborhood- super hilly with houses everywhere- is gorgeous and I love playing with all of the neighborhood kids. It’s especially beautiful at night when the lights from the houses make it seem as if there are stars in the surrounding hillsides.
On Saturday, Becky and her bhuti and me and Mandisa and 11 other american students/south africa siblings met up at the beach. The waves were SOOOO POWERFUL. I have never fought so hard to a) survive and b) keep my swimsuit on. I also found sand in my ears (and elsewhere) much later in the day and we’re not sure if its completely out of our hair yet. On Sunday, I (Steph) went to church at the Jesus Dome, that’s right the Jesus Dome, with my family. I loved the singing, dancing and shouting out of praises that began the service but the sermon left much to be desired. Afterwards we went to the Workshop which is a complex with tons of outside booths and some inside stores as well. I met up with Becky there and we went grocery shopping. Then back home to do homework and eat dinner and get ready for our first full day of class on Monday. Which I am currently breaking from right now! We’ve begun by learning about S. African history and Zulu. Uyaphi? = Where are you going? That’s your lesson for this update! Hope everything is going great and if you haven’t yet please message me (still Steph) your address so that we can send you a letter or postcard!!!
Its Becky now- Im not sure what else to add except that I’m having a great time. I did washing with my Mama on Saturday and my malume, who was in the backyard trimming the banana branches, teased me saying I wasn’t very good at scrubbing- my mama had to redo what I did. But I could hang the clothes on the line pretty well ;)
Anyways, the suities are overdue for an update! We aren’t the only ones with stories…
Monday, February 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Haha, the Jesus Dome??? I'm jealous!
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear from both of you - Stephanie, I'm so sorry we didn't get to say goodbye, but I hold the hope that we'll meet and catch up one of these days. We could even cook something tasty!! Becky, my mom is pretty good at hand washing and used to do it when she was little - apparently I never learned either according to her...
I'll keep an eye on you here, hope everything keeps going well!
-Jesús
Oh dear Becky...I have failed you as a Peace Corps mother in the lost art of hand washing clothes! There were many methods tried in my day, including putting a tub with clothes in the shower while bathing and stomping feet to agitate...this was not my method but one I heard about. The real lesson involves soaking the clothes in soapy water (if you want the water hot, just leave the wash basin in the sun for a few hours), then learning how to roll the clothes up just right, dipping them in the soapy water, rubbing them together while squishing out the water at the same time to create a perfect "squish, squish, squish" sound, then moving the clothes surfaces to rub another area, and continuing until finished. Wringing is another art to master in order to allow the clothes to dry as quickly as possible (also helps build strong arms, firm handshakes). Well, it takes lots of practice, but I am sure by the time you come home you will have it somewhat mastered. In the meantime, keep hanging up the clothes nicely, and recycle your outfits as often as possible until it becomes obvious they are ready for a wash! (oh yeah, undies are easily washed out when bathing or washing up)
ReplyDeleteI made an attempt to post a comment and somehow lost it. Hah.. Keep it coming.
ReplyDeleteHello ladies!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds sooo awesome and I'm really glad I can see your updates so easily! I have your addresses and numbers so expect some contact in the near future. I have been busy writing papers this past week,but Ly, Dede, Sarah, Luda and I went out last night to Marcus/Jasmin's party. It was fun/crazy and more updating is required. Buts I just wanted to say hi and I love you both for now. Hope to hear more soon :)
Hugs, Julia