Wednesday, March 11, 2009

difficult dinner =)

ahh we forgot to write about the day we made dinner for stephanie's family. they hinted to her that they really loved lasagna and so one day after class we went to the grocery store to get everything we needed. it was quite late by the time we took a taxi home and then the challenge began. The first difficulty was that Stehpanie's house has not had running water for several weeks. Cooking in a kitchen without running water is DIFFICULT to say the least. Second, we bought way too many noodles and we were trying to conserve water and it was a disaster. They stuck together. Lol. Finally, after we somehow we managed to layer all the cheese, meat, tomatoes, sauce, and noodles into a pan, we placed it in the oven to bake for an hour and then suddenly realized that the amount of energy that we would be consuming to cook this food was probably obscene!!!!!!! As we sat down to rest for a minute and looked over the mess we had made of the kitchen, we felt sligthly guilty.

FORTUNATELY the lasagna turned out to be absolutely delicious and the family LOVED it. However, if we were to do it over we would in the least just buy premade lasagna and bake it, but preferably we would buy it already cooked from a restaurant... =)

Oh well, it was an experience.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad it all turned out, hope nobody got in trouble over the energy. ..... slightly off topic, I just looked at the beach pics, and I don't see any rough surf. As a matter of fact, it looks kind of placid. Where are they taken? XXOO NYbandmom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha, ha...! I remember trying to make lasagne once in JA too...only I had to make the noodles too. It was way to much effort for the results! But I am sure Stephanie's family loved it and it will remain an experience to remember. I hope you took some pictures! :-) Now when you come home and we ask you to make some S.African food, you will have to remember this. Love, Your Florida Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Guys!
    Glad to hear both of you are safe and well. Enjoy this experience and learn everything you can. Eric is starting baseball, he really has a chance at making varsity as Coach Whitehead has said on Friday that he is taking the best 16 regardless of class. AJ is growing like a weed, he is tryong out for the PUPS 9u baseball team next Wednesday the 18th. He has been in a couple classes at RT and Eric and I have been working with him. Now if he could only run fast, but may be some day. Step the house is on the market and my the time you get back we may not live at the same address. Fot the price we will forward you the new address. Ha! Ha!

    Hugs and Kisses,
    Dave, Eric and AJ

    PS. Douglas has learned how to dig under the fence and really enjoys his time when touring the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete